Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Tomorrowland Autopia Demolition

Do you remember where you were on September 6, 1999? Yeah, I think we all do. I spent my day riding the Tomorrowland Autopia on its final day. I don't have many good demolition photos, but I'll try to cover that up with some nifty panoramas I made back in July and September 1999:

Immediately after closing the attraction, Disneyland boxed up the Cast Members for sale on eBay. In their haste, they left behind this jacket:

The cars took it upon themselves to offer the attraction a farewell salute...

...before they were driven over Backstage, to be boxed up and sold on eBay.

By September 24, without regular maintenance, nature began to reclaim the Autopia area:

Before Disney struck a deal with Caterpillar for Bountiful Valley Farm, they obviously investigated a tractor ride around Tomorrowland:

And one more panorama, from October 11:

1 comment:

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Great post! Love the panorama shots, nice work! I miss the old Autopia Cars... The new Track is ok, but the cars are lacking... I wonder what will happen when Chervron ends its sponsorship?