Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Disneyland's Last Night Alone

We've had a lot of text here over the past week, so I'll just provide a couple of photos today. There's nothing too remarkable about the following images in and of themselves. Sure, they show Disneyland without any Guests, but it's not like 1955 Disneyland or anything! On February 7, 2001, I had a closing shift at Lost & Found. I recall that day being particularly dead. If you recall my post on Guests helped at Disney's California Adventure Lost & Found, it was something like that (but with more foot traffic because of the lockers). I even remember the rather unusual event of the Lead going on break and leaving me there alone. Anyway, at the end of my shift I took this photograph:

As I said, somewhat interesting, but not particularly remarkable... until you take account of the date. Disney's California Adventure opened on February 8, making this a photo of Disneyland on its last day alone. Never again (well, probably!) would Guests step foot on Main Street, U.S.A. and be inside the only California park. And because I have it, here's a companion shot of the lockers:

I have a key from one of the old lockers that I can share at some point, but you know how it is--in an ironic twist, the locker key itself is in storage, thousands of miles away from me!

2 comments:

David Marquez said...

I have not thought about that location in years! That view of Main Street USA was a familiar one. I can hear Allen yelling at Guests playing with the calling card machine and well, I kinda miss my L&F friends.

Major Pepperidge said...

This post makes me remember how excited I was when I first heard about the second park. As the years went by and I was told more and more about it, my enthusiasm waned. By opening day I was pretty much in a "wait and see" frame of mind. It's not a terrible park, but disappointing when you think of the possibities.