Sunday, May 11, 2008

Photos from George Short, Part 1

In recent weeks I have been in contact with George Short, a Club 55er who worked in the Sound Department until 1987. On Opening Day he worked with RCA and set up televisions for sponsors and executives to see the live broadcast; he told me his job that day was so easy that he spent most of the time just walking around! George was (is?) also into photography and took a number of photographs over the years. He recently sent me a DVD of scans he made of some of these photos before giving them away or discarding them. I'll be sharing the rarer (and interesting!) ones in the near future. To start off, here are three photos of Space Mountain construction in 1975:

Thanks again, George!

6 comments:

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

WOW, these are RARE so I can't wait to see more. Thank Jason and George! I hope George has some more to tell from his many years at the park too

Unknown said...

These are great!

Anyway to put a tag on them so we can search for them easier in the future?

Jason Schultz said...

George: I use tags very sparingly on the blog because I don't have nearly the level of control that I'd like! I tend to only apply labels to series that I do (e.g., destruction) or things I know will crop up frequently (e.g., New Tomorrowland). That said, not labeling the George Short photos violated this "policy," so I've gone ahead and tagged the two posts thus far and will use the tag in the future. For proper nouns, I highly recommend a Google search of this site using the correct nomenclature. :)

Anonymous said...

To George Short:

The Rastles from Eucalyptus St. are looking for you.

Jason Schultz said...

Anonymous: Send me an e-mail and I can put you in touch with George.

Nolan said...

Wonderful photos! On a side note, it breaks my heart when people scan in their photos and discard the originals! Don't they know their slides will be around longer than flimsy digital media. At least they're being spread around the web.