Thursday, May 15, 2008

Photos from George Short, Part 4

Since we're already in Tomorrowland, and already by the Sub Lagoon, we might as well stick around. But we'll be traveling back in time. Many millions of years, in fa... oh, how about 49 years? We'll pull up a chair here at the Tomorrowland Skyway Station and watch it unfold.

If you ever needed more proof that Walt didn't care about keeping the outside world out of Disneyland, we have this image CLEARLY showing a snow-clad Mount San Antonio towering over Southern California. Looks like a nice day to be at Disneyland. I'm guessing this is from January or February 1959.

Here's our first glimpse of the Submarine Voyage show building under construction. In the distance, you can see one small section of monorail beam has been put in place.

Aside from the overpass and the iconic Richfield sign, it's hard to tell this is Disneyland! The Tomorrowland Autopia looks to have closed as work continued, with the track beyond the overpass bulldozed up.

Well, I have to admit, I tried my best to figure out the chronological order of these and I guess I screwed up. The Autopia has reopened!

They sure piled up a lot of dirt in their lagoon excavation. I wonder where it all went during construction (Bob?).

Check back tomorrow for the continuation of Disneyland '59!

1 comment:

Major Pepperidge said...

Unbelievable! What treasures....